Thursday 17 March 2016

Maori Roles Explaination

                                    

Maori Roles

Have you ever.. Been to a Powhiri?
If You have then have you noticed that women always sit at the back?
I have. The Maori culture has VERY specific roles for men and women.

In the Maori culture the men are in the front when doing a haka.
This is because they want to protect the women. Why? Well if I were the only woman in the whole wide world, if I died then there would eventually be no more babies and that means that there would be no more people. Everyone will be extinct. The men are also the providers. They hunt, fish, garden and forage. Why? Because the women are all busy with the children and the house., they don’t have time!  

But also, females have very important roles.
They need to look after the children. And also since teachers are usually ladies…
I mean seriously…    If it was your first day at school and as you were walking into your classroom…     and your teacher came out and started a haka and what’s more…      did a HUGE ukana at the end!! wouldn’t you be scared?!?!

Overall....   What I am trying to tell you is that women and men both have their own roles and duties and it is not sexist…

It is Tradition.
By Alyssa


Reflection:

I was learning to write an explanation because we are reading the Whale Rider story.
I felt happy because it was REALLY easy.
I found it easy because we had some people around us helping us and reminding us what to do.
Next time, I need to use more technical words.


No comments: